ADVANCE NOTICE OF CONTRACTING OPPORTUNITY – AQUATIC BIOLOGICAL SERVICES
Solicitation No. RFP-476721-0061
Parsons, as the Main Construction Manager (MCM) for the Giant Mine Remediation Project (GMRP), acting as both the Mine Manager and Prime Contractor, will be soliciting a Request for Proposal (RFP) for execution of the Aquatics Monitoring Program in relation to assessing the aquatic environment in Baker Creek for potential blasting effects at Giant Mine, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. This work will include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Prepare an aquatics field monitoring schedule for the program
- Execute the program according to the following requirements:
- Conduct a baseline assessment of Baker Pond and Baker Creek according to Habitat Map Reach 0 to 6 of Baker Creek
- The baseline assessment will include sampling and field surveys to understand the pre-blasting aquatic environment
- Sampling and field surveys will be focused on hydrology, water quality, benthic invertebrate communities, sediment quality, and fish population
- Install a fish exclusion barrier; test blast results will verify the extent of the exclusion area
- Remove fish within the exclusion area and verify that fish do not enter the area during blasting
- Monitor that upstream and downstream ends of the exclusion area for migrating fish
- Inspect the exclusion barrier after each blasting to verify no fish were present during a blast
- Conduct daily turbidity, total suspended solids (TSS), and streamflow (velocity) monitoring
- Complete daily inspections of the fish exclusion barrier including removing debris and ongoing maintenance of flow
Water Quality Monitoring
- Complete sampling and testing to determine the background and upstream in-stream TSS concentrations and turbidity
- Complete daily sampling and testing from stations adjacent to and downstream of the blasting work area to determine the in-stream concentrations of TSS and turbidity
- Evaluate TSS according to provided criteria
Work is anticipated to start in July 2021.
Parsons is committed to ensuring procurement is conducted in a fair, open and transparent manner while meeting Comprehensive Land Claims Agreement (CLCA) commitments and the Government of Canada’s procurement objectives regarding Indigenous opportunities. Competitive proposals will be solicited using the MERX Canadian Public Tenders website to select the best value firm to deliver the product to the Giant Mine in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
Please visit www.giantminerp.ca for news and updates on the Giant Mine Remediation Project!